Thursday, January 3, 2013

More Django Thoughts

Brandon, you had my curiosity. But now, you have my attention...

Ha, I figured you'd get a kick out of me relaying that Jeff story. And he's probably in need of some taunting. Hell, I'm probably in need of some taunting. Either way, I always enjoy it when Jeff shares some of your text convos with me--fun and interesting stuff.

Agreed, the Blazing Saddles comparison is a tad easy/lazy. But I disagree (slightly) with the KKK scene; it made me laugh as well, but, in my opinion, Tarantino seemed to loiter in the comedy a bit longer than he had for any of the other scenes. And I respectfully disagree about the comedy not dulling the dramatic impact. I think it does for me a bit, but definitely not enough to completely hijack/ruin the film. There are bigger problems, as we've mentioned. Tarantino is gifted at jumping between the genres within his films.

I'll let Jeff handle the more in-depth analysis of the KKK scene. I pretty much agree with what he'll write. (He might finish his post before me, though). We're both typing away at the same time here.

Good points about whether we should ignore certain topics for fear of what the public might do with them. And I know we both agree on the answer...and Tarantino would agree with us as well. QT made the film he wanted all the while knowing that it would end up offending someone.

And right, I overlooked the fact the you mentioned the brilliance of the handshake scene. Great points in your original post and I like your interpretation of Candie's extended palm. And I'm starting to agree with you more on this film being much richer than I had previously thought. That's a credit to you and the Big Media Vandalism post.

One idea I forgot to include in my post yesterday was that I'm glad Tarantino made the dentist/bounty hunter character a German. Me thinking that Tarantino wrote the character as a German only because he wanted his movie to star the great Christoph Waltz is probably not fair to QT's intelligence. I mean, hell, his last movie was about WWII. Spike Lee called slavery in America a "holocaust." I agree, and like the Holocaust in Germany/throughout Europe, it's our country's most disgraceful, disgusting moment.

In the past, whenever I heard the words "German" or "Germany," I would instantly think of Nazis or make a Nazi joke in my head. Lot's of people do it. But as I got older, I learned to get over that. And as a country, Germany has moved on from Hitler. Compare that to the American South where the Confederate flag still hangs in front of certain government buildings, households, and as bumper stickers and decals on cars/trucks. The South refuses to let the Confederacy die, and plenty of racist assholes (in the North and South) continue to worship the 'stars and bars.' For the love of god, end it. I had the same thoughts when we were watching Lincoln. End rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment