Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Blaffair To Rememblack



(My apologies for how crappy this video is. For whatever reason I can't get a better clip to imbed from southparkstudios.com. If you were annoyed and like links, click here).

Good advice, Brandon (and really, it's advice that we can apply to all genres). Yesterday I came to the decision that I wouldn't watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; I reminded myself that I don't want to spend the next week slightly freaked out. I still might see Halloween because the Michael Myers mythology/story interests me a tad. Seems that Lewton is a good place to start, though. I'll do that. Eventually the rest will follow. 'Tis the season after all; I can devote two weeks of the year to horror. And I'd like to participate in the horror discussion, but mostly I'll be standing in the background and making a lot of fart noises.

I've been meaning to watch Fritz Lang's M for the longest time. My senior seminar in college was on Vladimir Nobakov, and one day our professor played a few clips from M for us. I don't really remember why - I'm sure there's a connection, but my memory is crap and I've been feeling dumber and dumber since graduation...so if someone else can tell me why he did...

We also watched Kubrick's Lolita one day (for more obvious reasons). It was my favorite day of class, but then a few people in my seminar shit on the film because it "wasn't like the book." Assholes.

Shortly after I submitted my post yesterday, I turned on the TV and surfed past a movie being played as part of AMC's Fright Fest. I'm not sure what movie it was, but a black cat attacked a guy, jumped into his mouth and crawled down this throat and into his stomach. I was eating lunch at the time. You ruined my meal, crappy horror film!

Ben, I've also been wondering how faithful The Walking Dead TV series is to the comics. I'd check them out if my local library had them. And don't get me wrong, I didn't find the season 2 premier to be flawless. It didn't always work for me, but I found it to be better than the tail-end of the first season. Like Jeff, I haven't read City of Glass, but I'd be interested in checking it out. I'm currently not reading anything, and that needs to be remedied fast. I still need to watch the second season of Bored to Death - waitin' on Netflix.

Like Jeff: Part 2, I re-watched The Tree of Life. This time there were no funky smells or inconsiderate folks in the vicinity. And so, for those reasons (and more), I enjoyed it much more the second time around. The first viewing was definitely an emotional experience, but I actually teared up multiple times during the second viewing. The film communicates so effectively; each facial expression and/or line of voice-over somehow puts a million different thoughts and feelings into my head. It is certainly a experience you seldom get.

Jason, hopefully you're having a great time in France. And hopefully Midnight In Paris is playing in every theater over there for the rest of the year. All right, I admit that it's annoying that that film is doing so well that it's preventing other films from being shown...but not too much; the film is harmless, and as you all know, I like it. Anyways, I feel that it goes without saying that Back to the Future is better than Back to the Future II. It also goes without saying that using a sports almanac from the future to gamble with in the present is the real American dream. It was interesting to hear John's thoughts on BTTF 3, but at this point, I can't bring myself to watch it again.

Lisa, I'm with you on The Green Lantern. I haven't seen a second of it, but I know it would be a bad experience. John addressed the new Hulk - Ruffalo is one of my favorite actors, but yeah, he won't save that franchise. I rented the Eric Bana Hulk shortly after it came to DVD. I fell asleep while watching it. After I woke up, I had no interest in finishing it. As John said, "Incredible Hulk fans have been long-suffering."Agreed, Manhattan's fantastic, but what I'd really like every Woody Allen movie to be is Love and Death. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment