Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Available Now: Bon Iver - Bon Iver


I honestly cannot understand why anyone would rate this album higher than "For Emma, Forever Ago" (which Pitchfork did). I want to like this album more than I do, but honestly, I am a little disappointed with it. That isn't to say that there aren't great songs on it - there are some great melodies and sounds on it. I'm definitely a fan of Justin Vernon and I will continue to support him. "For Emma, Forever Ago" is a brilliant album. It offers originality and immense creativity. It's an album that feels like it has always existed and will always exist. And so, I hate to talk more about Vernon's previous album than the one I'm currently reviewing, but I've never really had the chance to gush over it until now.

I know that I need to listen to this album more and give it a real chance. I've recently given Okkervil River's "I Am Very Far" a more in-depth listen and I like it a lot more now than I did when it came out. Maybe that will be the case with this album as well. Some of the tracks that I am fond of are: Holocene, Towers, Calgary, and Beth/Rest. They're good songs, but the album as a whole has yet to soothe my ears. Of course, give it a chance and check it out for yourself. Let me know why I'm wrong about it.

1. Perth
2. Minnesota, WI
3. Holocene
4. Towers
5. Michicant
6. Hinnom, TX
7. Wash.
8. Calgary
9. Lisbon, OH
10. Beth/Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment