Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An update on the MLK Jr. misquote...

So apparently, I, like many others have "somewhat" misquoted Dr. King yesterday. There's an article in the Washington Post about this here.

Anyways...the bottom of the article indicates that only the first sentence has come into question. Everything after that was, in fact, said by Dr. King. Although, the article also states that something similar to that first line was said by King - "No one should rejoice at the death or defeat of a human being." And so, because it isn't the exact quote, I do admit to mistake and I think everyone else who quoted it would admit to mistake. This clearly is an internet/wiki generation. Many of us, unfortunately, were not alive to hear any of King's speeches and we rely a little too heavily on the internet for information. I could have researched the hell out of all Dr. King's speeches to ensure it's accuracy..but honestly...why are blogs and Facebook posts held to higher scrutiny than the work of journalists or the assholes on Fox News? Anyways...

The first place I saw this quote yesterday was on Facebook. When I read it, I loved it. Before I re-posted it on this blog, I did a google search on it and was lead to the quote on goodreads.com. This, for me, was confirmation and I put it on this blog.

And so, again, we're all wrong (kind of) in misquoting King here. I don't have a problem being corrected because it's not a big thing for me to admit I'm wrong. However, and maybe I'm mistaken again, it feels as if those who are leading the charge to correct us are somehow gloating that we're wrong. The idea that we would use levelheadedness in a moment such as yesterday somehow disturbs those who celebrated the news of Bin Laden's death. Despite the fact that the quote is inaccurate, it doesn't change how I feel about the situation. It's just a little disturbing to watch people party and parade a murder (especially those who are Christian). What did Al Qaeda do on 9/11? They celebrated. Say what you want about Bin Laden (most of it is accurate)...but to sink to the level of a terrorist doesn't sit well with me. Shouldn't we hold ourselves to a higher standard?

Again, Bin Laden is only worth a "good riddance." I think Dr. King would agree. If not, maybe someone can misquote him to agree (see I can poke fun at myself and get over it - I only wish those who celebrated this death would do the same). Besides, this death won't end our war in Afghanistan; it won't mean the death of Al Qaeda; it certainly won't improve employment or the economy. I'd rather receive news of Lloyd Blankfein's arrest than of Bin Laden's death. Anyways, just some thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment