Friday, May 27, 2011

Top Twenty-Four Bob Dylan Songs

In honor of Bob Dylan's 70th birthday (which was on May 24th), and Rolling Stone Magazine's tribute to him in their listing of his 70 greatest songs, I decided to create a list of my own. Instead of listing my top seventy Dylan songs, I decided to offer my favorite 24 (in honor of the day he was born). So whether you agree with me or not, at least we can agree that Bob Dylan is America's greatest songwriter and is one of the most important/influential figures in contemporary music. If we can't agree on that, there's something wrong with you.

This was a pretty difficult task. I tried to include as many albums as I could - with a limit of four songs per album. I also decided, obviously, to omit songs that weren't written by Bob.

24. Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? (Non-album single)
23. New Morning (New Morning)
22. On a Night Like This (Planet Waves)
21. The Man In Me (New Morning)
20. Talkin' New York (Bob Dylan)
19. Peggy Day (Nashville Skyline)
18. Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan)
17. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You (Nashville Skyline)
16. Ballad In Plain D (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
15. Temporary Like Achilles (Blonde on Blonde)
14. Queen Jane Approximately (Highway 61 Revisited)
13. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bringing It All Back Home)
12. I Shall Be Released (Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2)
11. Love Minus Zero/No Limit (Bringing It All Back Home)
10. Highway 61 Revisited (Highway 61 Revisited)
9. Absolutely Sweet Marie (Blonde On Blonde)
8. It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry (Highway 61 Revisited)
7. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan)
6. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Blonde On Blonde)
5. Boots of Spanish Leather (The Times They Are A-Changin')
4. Subterranean Homesick Blues (Bringing It All Back Home)
3. Song To Woody (Bob Dylan)
2. Visions of Johanna (Blonde on Blonde)
........
1. Like a Rolling Stone (Highway 61 Revisited)

No comments:

Post a Comment